Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mini-challenges and 6 pack abs

It can be hard to find motivation to workout when I don't have a specific competition or race to train for.  That's why every few months I create a new challenge for myself.There is a 5k in October I want to do, so beginning in September I will train for that. Then after the race I may take it easy for a while until I find my next challenge.   My favorite is the ab challenge: I work really hard for a few weeks to get ripped abs, then I slack off for a bit, then I do it again.  


These mini-challenges work for me. If I worked to maintain a certain level of fitness all the time, I'd get bored.  So mini-challenges every few months ensure that I'm always working toward something new and exciting. You don't have to be at your goal weight 100% of the time. You have to be close, though, you can't be gaining and losing 10 pounds every month! But try new things and see how your weight changes.  Sometimes I go through heavy weight lifting phases and try to put on weight. Sometimes my challenges (5k training) cause me to lose weight.  


Being fit should be fun.  Try new things, set new challenges, observe the changes, and develop a healthier relationship with your body.  


Here is the ab routine I'll be starting, pics will follow:



Abs
Complete following plank series without rest, then move on to other ab exercises.  Do 3 sets
Regular plank
Just a regular plank, make sure your lower abs are engaged. If you don’t feel it in your lower abs, tuck your hips under a little more.
20 seconds
Spiderman plank
In plank position (on your forearms), alternate brining one knee out to the side and up towards your armpit, so you look like spiderman climbing a wall
20 total, 10 ea leg
Twists
In plank position twist hips so that hip and side of that foot touches ground, pull back and go to other side
20 twists total, 10 ea side
Rocking planks
Rock back and forth on your toes, do not pull or push with your arms
20 rocks



No comments:

Post a Comment