Sunday, July 1, 2012

Running is not fun, so why am I doing it?

If you know me, I've at some point made it clear that I hate running. As mentioned before I ran track competitively for 13 years. But remember I also mentioned that I was a heptathlete and did sprinting, jumping, and throwing. There were no long, slow runs in my competition.  And thank goodness, because I hate long, slow running.

There is a common misconception that fit people are fit because they love running (or whatever exercise they do); therefore being in shape or healthy is easy.  This is absolutely not the case.  We run (or whatever) because there is something greater driving us, pushing us, motivating us to get out there and more.  Here are my top three reasons for running right now:


1. Running is just good for you.  I've known for a while I need to incorporate more running into my routines, and now that I live in sunny Southern Cali, I have no excuse not to do it.  Plus, we've been eating out a lot (healthy of course!) but I can't be gaining weight due to inactivity!


2.  My dog needs it.  My dog had ACL surgery 12 weeks ago, and literally has no muscle left in her leg. She needs the running to regain her strength, lose weight, and get healthy.

3.  I need some kind of mental release.  Since moving I haven't been working (hopefully I'll have a job soon!). But if I don't get out there and run I get REALLY cranky.

So what do you do when you need to run but don't like to run?  Well first of all, understand that even the fittest fitness professional does intervals. I run for a minute then walk for a minute. And guess what? I don't go out for 2 hour runs or 10 milers, I run anywhere from 20-30 minutes.  If you are training for a race of course you need to track your miles and time. But right now I want to keep running run and doing anything longer than 30 minutes wouldn't be fun for me right now.

You don't have to love running to do it. Keep it fun and get a dog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment