Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I'm back! I'm alive! I ate well on a 1000 mile trip!

After several days on the road and several more without internet, I'm finally back!  I am sure you've been on the edge of your seat these last few days dying to know how our trip was. Well it was great. And I was able to eat well the whole trip, and saved room for a few treats.
First, the prep.  A failure to plan is a plan to fail and I made sure I planned the heck out of my food. Hunger stood no chance against me! I spent $67 at the grocery store and here is a pic of my spread the night before the trip:
I forgot to throw in the 2 packs of turkey bacon and a dozen hardboiled eggs. Here's the list of food:
Horizon milks for Brooklyn
Apples- Green and red for variety
Bananas
7 grain bread for Quaylan and Brooklyn
Yeast free/Gluten free/ Dairy free/ taste free :( bread for me
Peanut butter for Q and B
Almond butter for me
Quaker oats with almonds, walnuts, and fruit (and a whopping 9 grams of protein)
Water
Protein powder
Hardboiled eggs
Oven cooked turkey bacon
Granola bars

Whew! But with this spread we did not need to stop for breakfast or lunch.  Here's a picture of Brooklyn enjoying her breakfast our second day of travel:
 The kid loves eggs and it was a great way to start each morning.  Then, during our long driving spells I would simply grab the bag of turkey bacon and eat it like jerky. The salty crunchiness was a great pick me up if we started to get drowsy, and held us over till we could pull over for a bigger lunch or got to a hotel for dinner.

Speaking of dinner, here is a pic of my dinner from one of our nights. It was at a the Rock Slide Brewery in Grand Junction.  The first thing Q and I ordered were beers (I'm healthy, not crazy).  Here's my dinner:
Blackened chicken with no bun with a side of wild rice.  It wasn't the tastiest meal (I've never enjoyed food from a brewery, but after 7 hours of driving we were more interested in a good beer than good food!) but it filled me up.

After dinner at a yummy mexican restaurant on day 2, we splurged and found a coldstone.  I ordered the smallest size of something delicious and thoroughly enjoyed it! I refrained from all sweets as we drove and this was the only sweet reward I allowed myself. It was gooooood.

Our third day of driving lunch time coincided with the time we were driving through Las Vegas. Not exactly picnic friendly. So I broke down and found us a Jack in the Box. All three of us got the grilled chicken pita (Yep, even Brooklyn), ONE order of SMALL fries to share between the three of us (I actually only at 2 or 3), and three cups of WATER.  Are we the most boring fast food eaters or what??

So that's how you plan for healthy eating when going on a 5 state trip.  Eat turkey bacon and eggs 80% of the time and save room for beer and ice cream for the remaining 20%.  Life is good :)

1 comment:

  1. I love to make up pre-cooked turkey bacon. That is what I ate for breakfast almost every day of law school. It gave me the protein I needed and was easy to take to-go.

    ReplyDelete