Monday, June 18, 2012

Happily not Exercising

It's officially three days before the big move to the OC.  Now, there are some people out there who can handle these situations without missing a single workout. I am not one of those people.  In fact, during times of immense stress I do the opposite of what you might expect, I give myself permission not to workout, at all.

"Gasp!" you say!  "I thought we were supposed to workout during times of stress!"  Well, here is my reality. If I attempted to fit in a structured and planned workout, I would stress more. And then my workouts would be a source of discontent, not the feel good rush that I need.  I always tell my clients that life is never perfect for working out and eating right, that something will ALWAYS come up.  HOWEVER, this is what makes doing your workouts and eating right consistently so important during the times you can.

Very few things take me from my 3-4 times a week workout plan. But I know that moving is one of them.  Any other time, I tell myself to suck it up and get to work because you never know when something really big will take you from your workouts or throw a wrench in your diet.  I don't believe trips, family visits, and holidays are reasons to miss workouts. If you let these occurrences dictate when you workout, I guarantee you will fail. These situations are easily navigated around. Moving across three states, not so much.

I am not worried about missing 2 weeks of training. Because I know that for at least the last 24 weeks I have been right on course. 2 weeks will not undo 6 months of work.  I may lose a little muscle, gain a little fat, lose a bit of my endurance, but I'm ok with that.  And once the move is done, I will get right back on track.

Eating right is the same.  I control my diet, food does not control me. I've posted about food before (cookies, anyone?) and how I allow myself to splurge once in a while.  Since we are moving and have packed up most of our food and kitchen, we've been eating at friends' homes and out. I can't control not having food in my house, but I can control what we eat. I did have a HUGE slice of pizze at our going away party, and it was awesome. Again, I eat clean 80% of the time so I can splurge and enjoy life 20%! But after that party, you won't see us at McDonalds or any other fast food joint.   This is easy for us to do since we have made a conscious decision a long time ago to eat relatively healthy. I've heard many people reason that they just "had to eat fast food cause the kids were hungry and we had such a long drive/day/morning...whatever." Well challenge accepted. As we drive to California I will detail what we eat, what our toddler eats (she can't ask for french fries if she has only had McDonalds 2x in her life!) and how much it costs us. No excuses!

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Amanda!! You are so down to earth and hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, I'll keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete