Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Competition

I had the privilege of being a competitive track and field athlete from the time I was twelve to 22. I competed in the Junior Olympics (where I had the worst meet of my life, but met my husband) and was ranked in the Pac-10 in college.  Unfortunately, by my last year of competition in college I was completely burnt out. I had been running and training non-stop for ten years and my body and brain couldn't take it anymore.
Even though I continued to work out and participate in a triathlon here and there, for the most part I simply did not compete in anything.  All I could remember was the fear and anxiety that accompanied each competition and I had no desire to return to that part of my life...and then came softball.
Our church decided to participate in a leisure city league, and I thought I would show up to play. Here is my recap of how it went:

Me, (before setting foot on the field), "Oh, this will be so fun!"
Me, (as soon as my foot hits the softball diamond), "KILL, KILL, KILL! GIVE ME THE BALL, HIT IT TO ME, LET ME MAKE THE PLAY, WE MUST DESTROY THE OTHER TEAM!"

I had no idea my competitive spirit would return, and so strongly!  In fact, my teammates have placed bets on when I will lose it and who I will get in a fight with first- the other team or the ump.  Even though I am psychotically competitive, I love it. I can't remember the last time I had such a high from some type of physical activity.  I have confidence and motivation now to compete in other things, volleyball, 5Ks, and whatever else may come my way.
I've also been motivated to adapt my training and workouts in order to improve my sport performance.  I encourage everyone to find something that works for them. What motivates me might not motivate you, but you HAVE to find a reason to be active. Even I get bored sometimes, and reigniting my competitive fire has unleashed in me a passion for sports I thought I lost 8 years ago.  GO ATLAS SHRUGGERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment