Tuesday, June 5, 2012

COOKIES!

Our softball team had a bye this week so we held a team bbq instead. And since I don't eat red meat/hot dogs/sausage I mostly snacked on pita bread and hummus. Then I saw them- the tray of cookies. I am truly a cookie freak. I love cookies, and have very little self control when I am around them. This is a picture of me double fisting it tonight; unfortunately, this was the second time tonight I ate two cookies at once.  But look how happy I am :)

I know that when it comes to certain foods (chocolate, cookies, ice cream) I have very little self control.  Left to my own, I'd easily be 300 pounds.  So I've had to find ways to make sure that this doesn't happen.


Step 1 was to acknowledge my weaknesses when it comes to food. I simply do not have the will power to ignore these foods, and trying to pretend I do will only lead to constant failure.


Step 2, hide the cereal! my husband, Quaylan, literally hides food-ok, its only one food, Cinnamon Toast Crunch Yes, he actually hides the box of cereal when he buys it.  I can't find it, I can't eat it.


Step 3 is very simple, I do not buy junk food and keep it in the house.  Actually, we rarely have food in the house at all, but I make a conscious effort to never buy junk just to have it around. If we REALLY want chocolate, we go out at buy some. This ensures that when I want something, I really want it and am not just eating it because it's there and I'm bored.


Step 4, buy the smallest size of the "bad" product.  We usually buy the small pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream even though it's not the cheapest. But, it's tasty, satisfying, and gone within two days.


Step 5, and finally, when I do eat something bad (like today's 4 cookies) I don't beat myself up over it.  I enjoyed those darn cookies, and have no desire to punish myself or worry about it anymore.  I never eat out of boredom or habit. Every bite I take, I enjoy, savor, and see it's purpose.

Tomorrow I will eat as planned, do my workout as planned, and be happy.  You don't have to be a perfect eater, but you do have to learn what tricks work for you so that you can afford little mistakes now and then.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shirt, lol! These are some great tips, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete